The stage was set for a spectacular show, and the performers did not disappoint. Five “rock stars” of the wood flooring industry were awarded the coveted Wood Floor of the Year award for their artistry during the 2017 NWFA Wood Flooring Expo in Phoenix.
This year’s contest attracted 66 entries from six countries, including the United States, Canada, Latvia, Malaysia, Australia, and Taiwan. Since the contest began in 1990, the NWFA has presented 270 awards recognizing innovative design and craftsmanship in wood flooring installations.
This year, the NWFA announced revised categories that more closely align the awards with the refined Master Craftsman program. The revised categories were designed to generate more diversity with contest submissions by focusing on the specific skill sets taught during NWFA hands-on training events.
Winning entries were chosen by a panel of judges selected for their industry and design knowledge. As in previous years, NWFA members from across the globe voted online for their favorite entry to determine the association’s highest award – the Members’ Choice. This process gave each of the NWFA’s 3,400-plus members a chance to evaluate the entries based on technical difficulty, quality of installation, and overall appearance.
This year, that honor went to Scheller Hardwood Floors, Inc. in Lemoyne, Pennsylvania. To find out more about that floor and the other WFOY winners, click on the links below.
- Best Circular/Curved + Members’ Choice – Scheller Hardwood Floors, Inc., Lemoyne, Pennsylvania
- Best Color & Finish – Artistic Floors by Design, Parker, Colorado
- Best Restoration/Extreme Makeover – 1 Wood Floors,
- Best Textured Wood – Michigan Hardwood Floors Services, LLC., Farmington Hills, Michigan
- Best Parquet/Inlay – Traditional Hardwood Flooring, Toronto, Canada