LP Building Solutions (LP) released its 2023 Sustainability Report detailing the company’s environmental, social, and governance (ESG) performance.
“Our history has taught us the vital role sustainable building materials play in long-term resilience,” said Brad Southern, chair and chief executive officer of LP. “By engineering our products for durability, we enable customers to build more resilient homes. By harvesting responsibly, we help promote forest resilience. By building and developing a more diverse, engaged, and highly skilled workforce, we build a more resilient and competitive company.”
In 2023, LP completed five environmental product declarations (EPDs) for its Structural Solutions portfolio, which includes LP Legacy® Premium Sub-Flooring. EPDs provide transparency to consumers about the environmental footprint of products throughout their entire life cycle, from raw material sourcing to product end of life. To establish the products’ carbon-negative designation, LP developed life cycle assessments (LCAs) and EPDs for each product in line with internationally recognized protocols and standards, including ISO standards. LP began the EPD process in 2022 to determine the cradle-to-grave energy, fuel and materials needed to produce and distribute LP® Structural Solutions products in North America. Once completed, the LCAs and EPDs underwent third-party validation by ASTM International.
Highlights from LP’s 2023 Sustainability Report include the following:
- Ensured 100 percent of wood fiber was sourced through stringent forest certification standards
- Continued to focus on renewable energy, deriving 80 percent of all thermal energy used in product manufacturing from renewable sources
- Achieved another year of strong safety performance with a world-class total incident rate below 1.0 since 2007, winning four safety awards, and achieving 1 million recordable-free hours for the sixteenth time across its sites
- Enhanced workforce diversity and belonging with the introduction of the inclusion training program Building a Better LP
- Supported communities through the LP Foundation grant program, reaching 130 nonprofits across the U.S. and Canada, and announced a national partnership with the Gary Sinise Foundation’s R.I.S.E. program, which builds mortgage-free, specially adapted smart homes for America’s most severely wounded veterans
- Completed its plan to open LP Health and Wellness Centers at 11 of its facilities, offering free or low-cost health care exclusively to LP team members and their families
To read LP’s 2023 Sustainability Report, visit lpcorp.com/sustainability.