Shaw Industries Group Inc. celebrated Global Volunteer Month by honoring its associates who go above and beyond to create a better future in their communities. The company shared that Shaw empowers its associates to champion environmental and social efforts that promote the wellbeing of the planet and its people, a philosophy it calls sustain[HUMAN]ability®, and provides multiple opportunities for them to get involved at both the local and global level through various fundraising events and acts of service.
Global Volunteer Month takes place annually for the entire month of April. It is a month dedicated to encouraging volunteer work and recognizing the contributions of volunteers around the world. While volunteering looked different during a pandemic, Shaw associates were still able to find ways to give back to those in need. A few recent volunteer efforts include:
- Habitat for Humanity Build – This year Shaw sponsored a Habitat for Humanity home in Dalton, Georgia and more than 20 Shaw associates came together to lend a helping hand with this project.
- LAA Food Drive – Members of Conexión, Shaw’s associate resource group for Hispanic and Latino people, teamed up with the Latin American Association (LAA) and the United Way of Northwest Georgia, to help with preparing and packing boxes, handing out food and supplies, logging families in and assisting with traffic flow at several local food drives. Through these food drives, more than 200 families received close to 6,000 pounds of food.
- Shaw Contract EMEA Park Cleanup – Members of the Shaw Contract team in Sanquer, Scotland, gathered at a local park to clean up the area.
- VFW Calhoun Cleanup Event – ShawVET, Shaw’s associate resource group for veterans and their families, held a workday at the VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) building in Calhoun, Georgia. Members of ShawVET are now working with the VFW to update the flooring in their building.
- Shaw Contract Asia Coastal Cleanup – Members of Shaw Contract’s Asia team came together to clean up the beach at Coney Island, Singapore. The team collected and hauled off bags of trash, leaving the beach in beautiful condition for all visitors to enjoy.
“Our associates embody the Shaw Way by practicing servant leadership through a variety of volunteer initiatives,” explains Deanna Mathis, director of community outreach & corporate giving. “I am proud to celebrate Global Volunteer Month by recognizing their hard work and passion for creating a better future in all of the communities we serve. Our people are what make Shaw special and I’m honored to work with such an amazing and diverse group of individuals committed to making a difference. And we’re not stopping here – I’m especially looking forward to more in-person service projects through our partnership with our local United Ways.”