If you are new to the forum,
you must register a free account
before you can post.

Login Name:

Password:

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Sanding & Finishing » Duraseal stain

Anything related to sanding or finishing.
4/5/2013 12:13:43 AM

byronwery
byronwery
Has anyone had adherance issues with Duraseal stains? From what I understand they have a linseed base; does this cause extended dry times? Their 2 hour quick coat stains seem to take a lot longer than two hours to dry.
0 permalink
4/5/2013 5:18:51 AM

Kevin
Kevin
Haven't yet, but I always wait until the next day after staining. So it gets at least 15 hours of dry time. Hey, you are staining. Take your time and do it right. (I put that in my head every time I do a stain job)
0 permalink
4/5/2013 10:07:25 AM

byronwery
byronwery
This one had alot more than 15 hrs- Installed Owens plank 3 1/4 select maple and after acclamation sanded and ended with a 150 grit screen then waterdyed. Next day stained with duraseal rosewood and waited the weekend. Came back on monday T-bared one coat of quick dry sealer. Let it gas off and then two coats of Extera. Looked killer. Two mounths later the natorios wite lines. Called my dura seal rep and upon inspection we found we could with a little effort peal all three coats from the stain. The lab found a little pigment on the bottom side of sealer. I dont always use dura seal and this is my first failure in 15 yrs.
0 permalink
4/5/2013 11:00:12 AM

TDMAC
TDMAC
Two of your comments concern me: Waterdyed..? What is that? did you mean Water popped?? If so ,
How did you water pop if that is what you did?. Lots of chlorine from city water? Next It is my understanding that Dura Seal Stains are Not pigmented....they are dye stains.. I will call Craig, my rep, on that ..
I have used Dura Seal since the late 60's. We did hundreds of jobs with Spice & neutral then waxed-buffed- still buffing many....., and now tons of Dura Seal Oil urethane..... 18 cases this month already. Last comment... Quick dry sealer....... what brand and why? Exterra over that? Hmmmm. Tis a quandary.. Why not use the Dura seal Oil Urethanes instead of Exterra? Was the Stain in quarts? You might get more pro's on the Linked in Forum . Tdmac
0 permalink
4/5/2013 12:14:06 PM

classicfloors
classicfloors
I now that with some stains they recommend you coat over them with in 48 hours for proper adhesion. We use Dura Seal stains all the time and have never had this problem.
0 permalink
4/5/2013 2:39:30 PM

johannes
johannes
Byron,
Waterpopping or applying dye will open the grain a lot, even a quick dry stain in such dark color will need to dry longer under favorable drying conditions. A weekend dry should be long enough as long the temp was kept up and enough airmovement was allowed.
Question; was the stain wiped/buffed off good? If a lot was left on the floor that may be a cause. Which version stain did you use? (regular, QD or VOC 350 compliant version?) Dark colors are heavily pigmented, only Neutral color is a dye color as far as I understand.
Johannes
0 permalink
5/11/2013 5:58:16 PM

pantera858
pantera858
Ive been sanding over 15 yrs, all of a sudden I got 2 jobs this is happening too.Ive done some scrappy jobs but never had this issue.Unfortunately one job is stained with the grain popped,and the other is not.All dura seal products?
0 permalink
5/11/2013 6:48:04 PM

TDMAC
TDMAC
Gallons or quarts??? Gallons are different!!!
0 permalink
5/11/2013 6:59:40 PM

pantera858
pantera858
Dura Seal quik coat,.Floors set overnight werent coated until the following day.Ive sanded mega sq. ft. refinishing,ive seen alot but never had this problempantera858 wrote:
Ive been sanding over 15 yrs, all of a sudden I got 2 jobs this is happening too.Ive done some scrappy jobs but never had this issue.Unfortunately one job is stained with the grain popped,and the other is not.All dura seal products?
0 permalink
5/11/2013 7:22:20 PM

byronwery
byronwery
Hey Pantera858- I missed it. Do you have adhesion problems between the stain and sealer coat? I stopped using duraseal stains because not only I but a couple other people I know started having problems. I never really got to the bottom of it but where I stopped was when I found out that duraseal uses a linseed base. From what I understand linseed oil can be rehydrated when exposed to moisture.
0 permalink

Home » Sanding & Finishing » Duraseal stain

CONNECT WITH HF
FEATURED SUPPLIERS