If you are new to the forum,
you must register a free account
before you can post.

Login Name:

Password:

register | lost password   open id
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Installation » Installing over old floor coverings

Unfinished, prefinished, subfloor prep, etc.
11/21/2011 10:18:35 AM

Kim Wahlgren
Kim Wahlgren
Administrator
Hi All, here is a new question submitted on our site:

We currently have carpet in our living/dining room. Also, in the entry ceramic tile was installed, first plywood and then the tile. We now want to install hadwood flooring throughout. I believe the tiles under the carpet are 9X9. In order for us not to disturb the tiles, we are assuming they are asbestos, we are wondering where it is suitable to put plywood on top of the tackless and continue with plywood throughout and then install 3/4 hard solid flooring. My question is should it be a special plywood and if so how thick. We have lived in the house 34 years and have always had carpeting.
edited by Kim Wahlgren on 11/21/2011
0 permalink
11/21/2011 4:15:08 PM

rick2
rick2
So on your floor joists is 3/4" plywood? then 9x9 tiles? You want 1/2"plywood over the 9x9"? you'll want nail holding power so plywood is best,nothing special. Remove your tac strips and your ceramic tile.
0 permalink
11/21/2011 5:41:01 PM

TDMAC
TDMAC
Kim, This client has misleading information. 9x9 tiles?? Ceramic, Asphalt, Vinyl Asbestos??? Which.?? This needs a investigation by a Professional. Put plywood over tackless??? That is not the process at all. What state are they in??
When was the TILE installed; after 1958? If it is 9x9 vinyl asbestos the new wood floor possibly can be installed over that V/A tile. Vinyl asbestos tile should never be sanded but otherwise is inanimate. Funny that people are afraid of that V/A tile yet walked and waxed on it for 30 years with no Ill affects
I have done many jobs like this. This is really a project for a licensed professional if in California. I will not suggest anything here until I see it or get major proper information.
0 permalink
11/21/2011 8:02:45 PM

Stephen Perrera
Stephen Perrera
I believe they said the entry is just ceramic, and under the carpet is the 9X9 VAT. Most assuredly if it that old it is asbestos tile. One way is to bury it, but the best way is to have it removed by a professional. I can't touch it out here, needs a special license for removal.

Besides that it is not all the same. Some of the earlier 9 x 9 was thinner guage, less than 1/8 guage and became brittle and crunchy. Don't want to bury that.

0 permalink
11/21/2011 10:14:19 PM

TDMAC
TDMAC
9x9 tile was asphalt tile until 1958. Kentile then made the new Vinyl Asbestos tile. We all walked on it and no one died!!!smile Asphalt tile was 1/8" thick, very brittle and dissolved with solvent. Vinyl asbestos 1/16 thick was very flexible & was revolutionary as it wore very well.
I did a job like that last year and tested it. we put 15# felt over the V/A tile and nailed 3/4 over it . Actually used Bostich stapler. I tested it for any noise from crunching from the tile under. No problem. I remember when Kentile sold my Dad the V/A tile Great stuff in the day. Dont sand it and breath the dust!!
0 permalink
11/22/2011 8:12:48 AM

Stephen Perrera
Stephen Perrera
TDMAC wrote:
9x9 tile was asphalt tile until 1958. Kentile then made the new Vinyl Asbestos tile. We all walked on it and no one died!!!smile Asphalt tile was 1/8" thick, very brittle and dissolved with solvent. Vinyl asbestos 1/16 thick was very flexible & was revolutionary as it wore very well.
I did a job like that last year and tested it. we put 15# felt over the V/A tile and nailed 3/4 over it . Actually used Bostich stapler. I tested it for any noise from crunching from the tile under. No problem. I remember when Kentile sold my Dad the V/A tile Great stuff in the day. Dont sand it and breath the dust!!

Well TD, they said they lived there since 1977 and I am not doubting your dating but I have seen asbestos in both 8th guage and the thinner guage. I believe they kept adding asbestos until the mid 80"s. I sleep better if it's gone, but I will float over VAT any day. But not glue over it. Heck, I have literally torn out tens of thousands of feet of that stuff and am still kicking, cough.

edited by grooving on 11/22/2011
0 permalink
12/1/2011 1:13:45 PM

LesFlo
LesFlo
Is the Lvn/Din 'sunken'? On Concrete slab?
In which case Floating plywood sub-floor or Floating Engineered would be what ya want.
0 permalink
12/1/2011 1:14:39 PM

LesFlo
LesFlo
Actually now I think about it that may well be the way to go regardless.
0 permalink
12/1/2011 3:40:59 PM

TDMAC
TDMAC
Kim Have these folks hired a professional. What have they decided? There are some answers we can help with but haveing apro look at it first is important!
0 permalink

Home » Installation » Installing over old floor coverings

CONNECT WITH HF
FEATURED SUPPLIERS